Monday, June 13, 2011

Buy or Sell?

Are you selling or is the customer buying?

This is a question that I had to get answered on my own. Why is that? Unfortunately I didn't read many books when I started my career and I didn't have any sales training for the first 10 years of selling. Image that, 10 years of learning through trial and error and picking it up from peers and some management.

I remember when I first got on the phone, I had a script and it was all about the company I worked for. Does the customer really care? Not at all, they sometimes listen but they have heard it all before. You may spend hours on a script to make it highlight all the right points. It usually comes across in two ways, 1) like the teacher in Charlie Brown, 2) I'm the best, must be true since I said so.

I still remember when the lights went out on the script for me, I was finding it hard to get anyone to open up and talk about their current environment so I tried something new. I got an IT Director on the phone, introduced myself and my company name and simply asked for his time. His answer: "I'm not buying!", I said "Great, I'm not selling."

This answer floored the guy and asked me what I was calling for then. I explained that I can't provide him something if I have no clue to what can help him solve his problems. I went on to tell him that I understand roughly what his company does and that there are other companies like his having a certain need. The call went on for an hour, I understood his entire infrastructure and uncovered opportunities to work on.

Prospecting for me is like going over to your friends for dinner. I always ask what I should bring, I don't just show up with something they already have. Never assume that a prospect needs what you are selling, find out what they are buying. Your more likely to close the deal.

People buy from people!

If you have read this article and have a story of how you have helped a customer "buy" please add it to the comments section.

Thank you for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment