Wednesday, June 1, 2011

What to do now?

Shocked! That is the best way to explain how I felt on May 23rd. After traveling to Arizona for a sales meeting for SPI training follow up and a review of the direction for the company the week before I was called on a Monday and laid off.

Now what am I going to do, how am I going to break the news to my wife that after just two years I'm out of work again.

Finish the round of golf first I guess. I was at a charity tournament for an employee of one of my customers and there were 15 reps there, seemed like a good event to build on the existing relationships that I had and gain new ones for my role at the company.

After finishing the round I got a close family friend to pick up the kids so I could talk to my wife about the situation. Amazingly my wife took it in stride and told me that she believes in me and that we will be fine. This meant the world to me and put me in a positive mood. Positive thinking is an amazing tool.

Since last week I have been working my network and uncovering opportunities through perfect timing and the strength of my network. I'm a huge believer in Linkedin and started using it over 7 years ago. This tool has allowed me to uncover over 15 leads for careers and open the door to a change that may help meet a personal goal 2-3 years ahead of schedule.

I've also started looking into consulting, I have a wealth of knowledge about the IT Channel and see an opportunity to work closely with VAR's to meet their goals without capital investment. You may ask how, please feel free to contact me to find out.

I plan to use this blog to assist Sales Professionals in having a location to go for tips and means to grow. Let's see how I do. Please let me know your thoughts and feel free to add links to tools that you feel helpful.

Thank you,
Michael Thompson

No comments:

Post a Comment