Monday, June 6, 2011

Got Goals?

For those of you that work in a cube farm, have you ever looked at someones cube and been amazed by how much stuff is hung and stacked in it? We have all seen them, something like this:


Cube Farm


Have you ever seen anyone with their goals pinned up? The likely answer is NO, a big, big NO.

Why is that? Are they afraid of what others will think, are they worried that their boss will laugh at it, or maybe it's just that they don't have one.

Of course in sales we always have goals. However the goals that our company and boss give us aren't the ones that motivate us. Usually they do the exact opposite and bring us down.

In my 6 years of working in a cube I finally started not only writing down my goals but also putting them in my cube. One year I had $150K and Sr. Exec in my cube. The $150K was for my income and the Sr. Exec was for my company title, which also got me a raise. Many of my co-workers would ask why I had it up and also make jokes about it. However I saw it everyday and it reminded me of what I wanted to accomplish and keep me on task. I met those goals and have been setting 1, 5 and 10 year goals since. I revise them often since the longer term goals do change with your age.

You will get more when you know what your are working for.

So I ask again, Got Goals? If the answer is no, take ten minutes and get them!

No comments:

Post a Comment